Professional Proofreading - $0.02 per word
To order this service please call us at 832-699-0264 quoting your Author ID and Service #S2B-4
This service is available to both Schiel & Denver and External Authors
The proofreading of a book manuscript occurs after the galley page proofs have been prepared by your book publishing team, for your approval. Even at large traditional book publishing houses, copyediting and author errors may still be found at this stage.
Therefore, the purpose of the proofreader is do a line-by-line analysis to ensure the document is grammatically and stylistically error-free. Schiel & Denver Book Publisher's editorial department will check all design elements for consistency and accuracy. The proofing service includes, without limitation:
- Ensuring consistency of macro-elements like headers, level heads, page numbering, word and page breaks, end of link breaks;
- Cross-reference checking and implementing resolution;
- Correction of mechanical spelling errors - often word processor spell-checks fail to catch vital errors i.e. like missing words or incorrect grammar and language usage;
- Removing problems caused by fast-typing i.e. missing prepositions or omitted letters that aren't flagged by word processing spell check software;
- Ensuring appropriate formatting and placement of tables and artwork;
- Removing common grammatical mistakes and flaws - i.e. erroneous comma usage;
- Completion of table of contents, indexes and other "housekeeping" jobs, like numbering of detailed cross references;
NOTE: If you wish to undertake the proofreading of final galley proofs yourself, please purchase the author corrections service. Your S&D desk editor will liaise with you and our professional design and production team on whether your proposed changes require minor production adjustments, or a major re-tech.
How do I purchase this Service?
The cost of this service is $0.02 per word.
- Turnaround Time is 3 weeks.
*To calculate the final price for your manuscript, multiply the number of words in your manuscript by $0.02. Need more info? Call us a S&D book publishing consultant at 1-832-699-0264.
Example calculation for a Spy Thriller of 80,000 words:
Word Count x $0.02 = Final Price
80,000 x $0.02 = $1,600
At Schiel & Denver Book Publishers, we find most writers prefer to work with transparent and up-front guidelines, where they know exactly what our services cost, before engaging them. All rates are quoted in U.S. dollars and there is a minimum charge of $350.00 per job.
These rates apply to electronic editing of Microsoft Word documents and hard copy. If your document is in a different format, purchase the file conversion service due to the complicated editing tools.
What if my book has already been sent to press?
- Do not delay contacting your desk editor immediately. Your design team will contact. For your information, our U.S. printing facilities in ME, TN and PA run approx 5 hours behind Schiel & Denver's headquarters in England, and the Melbourne, Australia facility runs approx 10 hours ahead.
- NOTE: If you make changes after the book production process has advanced beyond printer submission, a $100 printer-disruption fee is levied.
Post-publication changes to your book are also possible and defined by the following procedures. Your desk editor and design team will give you prudent advice, to shephard you through the process as cost-effectively as possible.
Schiel & Denver's friendly book publishing professionals are available to help you choose the right mix of book publishing services and products for your book. Open a ticket with our 24/7 author support department to discuss your book publishing options.